Steigen Trip Overview
Starting & Finish: City of Bodø – Arctic Norway
Arrive Bodø City - Friday afternoon
- Transfer from airport to boat
- Welcome drink & meet skiiper & mountain Guide
- Boat familarisation / Safty Briefing / Stow gear
- Depart for first ski area in preparation for first thing am ski start on Saturday
Saturday through until Thursday - yes 6 days of pure paradise!
- Out on the boat and ski touring with your guide.
This trip is based on a 46' yacht which sets sail on a Friday afternoon/Saturday morning only to return one week later on the Thursday night, Friday morning. The week is spent living the life of the yachty whilst at the same time climbing and descending a rich variety of wonderful powder filled slopes in the region of Steigen. The team is made up of 5/6 people, the skipper, the Mountain Guide and 4/5 very lucky people!
This is a truly magnificent experience, and based on the strength of a great team is a opportunity to take your arctic adventure to the next level. This is very much a hands on experience so all members of the trip will be helping to crew the boat – assisting when departing and coming alongside, anchoring, sailing, helming, preparing and cooking food.
Experience & Fitness
Previous off piste skiing experience, the ability to ascend on skins and ski in all snow conditions is a basic requirement for this trip. Physical confidence and personal fitness to handle each day 3-5 hours touring and skinning up hill on skis and skins (up 1,300 metres of altitude ascent), followed by a variety off piste descents are an important requirement.
The beauty of these trips is that there are no ski lifts, just natural arctic mountain scenery and possibilities to ski different areas each day!
Typical day plan
- Rise to a hearty breakfast
- Transfer to land - possibly pontoon or via ships inflatable to beach
- Ski itinerary with professionally qualified guide
- Touring and ascent of ski route
- Lunch and photograph time up high on the mountains
- Off piste ski descent over varying and exciting terrain
- Rendez-vous with skipper and transfer back to boat
- A quick refreshing dip in the Arctic waters (optional – but worth it!)
- Apres ski drinks and snack
- Shower / change of clothes
- Hearty meal
- Relax – have a beer
- Preparation and looking at maps with guide for the next day
- A great night’s sleep on heated boat, lulled gently by the lapping waves
- Get up and do it all over again!!
This is very much a hands on experience so all members of the trip will be helping to crew the boat – assisting when departing and coming alongside, anchoring, sailing, helming, preparing and cooking food.
Rest of the year!!
- Enjoying great memories and looking forward to doing it all again next year.
- Not forgetting some incredible dinner party conversation and photographs!!